Saturday, September 8, 2007

I Quit!

Well, if I could resign from motherhood, today would be the day! It began innocently enough with a trip into town to get dinner. Eric was at work and I didn't feel like cooking. Kenadie for some reason decided to have a major tantrum just when we were headed home. She is almost three and used to be my sweet, sweet child. Then she stopped taking naps and being sassy. Kenadie didn't want to sit in her carseat for some reason and wouldn't let me buckle her up. She was screaming at me at the top of her lungs and kicking! I pulled into a parking space and told her that she was going in time out if she didn't stop. More screams. I took her out of the van and tried to make her stay. She ran away from me with no shoes in a parking lot. Not a good idea. I was afraid of her getting ran over so I drove over to a curb with some grass. I put her in time out on the curb and she continued to scream at me. Everyone going into Shopko and Costa Vida was starring at me and I'm sure wondering what a horrible mother would have such a naughty daughter! Finally, I realized it wasn't doing any good and just to go home. I knew I could at least control the environment better and put her in her room until she calmed down. So, all the way home she laid on the van floor screaming at me and poor Tyler was sitting in the back with his hands over his ears. I tried to not cry the whole way and immediately but her in her room. She screamed for a good 20 minutes and I'm pretty sure she fell asleep. I guess she still needs a nap! Any advice out there from the mom's? What should I of done? I was pretty proud of myself that I didn't drive away!

1 comment:

Larry and Michelle Dickinson said...

Ah! It sounds like last night when Spencer was running from me, locking doors, so I couldn't get in, and refusing to change out of his peed on clothes! Finally, I cornered him in the bathroom, and after getting some dry pajamas on, he relaxed and became his sweet self again! I try to see the humor in these things- like I'm someone else watching it, or someone in watching how I handle it. That helps me keep a little control.

Thank goodness Disneyland is only 12 days away!!