Saturday, September 19, 2009

Preschool and financial goals

I have been slacking on the blog lately! Here is what has been going on at our house.
Kenadie started preschool last week. She was so excited and couldn't wait. She went to the Sports Academy preschool last year, which I loved, but it was just too expensive this year. I heard about a preschool in Smithfield that a bunch of my neighbors were going to. It is by Melissa Mortensen who was in our old ward. She is very smart and has a degree in elementary education. Kenadie has loved it so far and is excited when it's time to go.
Look at these cutie's all excited for the first day....


The traditional first day of school pic....


Eric and I made the decision to sell his motorcycle in order to pay our car off...and no, I didn't make him! I have always been interested in finance and love to read about it online, in books, and I love the Suze Orman show. We don't have any credit card debt but we haven't been as good about saving, being on a budget, etc. One of Suze Orman's BIG things is to have 8 months worth of emergency fund. This has overwhelmed me and seems like such a hard thing to do but we are determined to get this in place. Our goal is to start with four months of living expenses saved and then go from there. We got a computer program that helps with a budget and has really kept us on track. I couldn't believe how much money would just disappear and we wouldn't know where it went! Any extra that we make goes to savings and we have already increased our savings by a couple of thousand dollars in just a few months. Since our car is paid off we will be able to make triple payments on the van and it should be paid off in 18 months. After that, we will make double payments on our house. Our goal is to have our house paid off in 11 years. I am not writing this because I think we are better than anybody. I am just writing what has worked for us. I think too many people try to live outside their means and that is why our economy is in the state it is in. I am trying to live on less and hopefully it will all pay off some day!

No comments: